Clearly, we need to reduce the amount of CO2 we emit, for example by investing in clean energy generation and industry. However, that transition is going to take a while, certainly in sectors like the steel industry. The good news is that we can store CO2 (that’s called CCS) and we can even put it to good use (called CCU). In order to make that a reality, in 2016 we joined forces with 26 partners to create the CO2 Smart Grid.
CO2 Smart Grid was the predecessor of this platform. We did a thorough feasibility study on the prospects of a smart grid distributing CO2 in the western part of the Netherlands. The conclusions of that study are summarized in this report.
THE NEXT LEVEL
Now, in order to upscale a national and international CCU economy, we will focus on the pointy business end. We are enthusiastic about the growing dynamics on CCU within the Dutch and European governments and we want to build on that. Society is slowly developing the awareness that focusing on sustainable carbon feedstocks is essential to avoiding the net emission of CO2 to the atmosphere.
Our strength is to provide market parties and governments with the ammunition to accelerate both the valorisation of use cases and the governance they need to be able to thrive.
A GROWING NETWORK
OF CCU PROFESSIONALS
With this website and our community, we aim to develop the ammunition mentioned. We do so by building a database of professionals and companies, by organizing events and connections between them and by informing relevant parties.
TEN REASONS TO INVEST IN CCU IN THE NETHERLANDS
PLUG&PLAY CCU INFRASTRUCTURE
- An ample supply of point sources and high quality CO2 via the physical OCAP grid. Near the industrial scale CCUS projects Porthos and Athos. These grids aims to service multiple millions of tons of CO2 per year.
- Located in the middle of the largest petrochemical cluster in the world.
- Located in the largest and 4th largest harbour of Europe, providing a perfect spot in a broad and futureproof materials hub.
- Close to Schiphol Airport, the best connected (most routes) airport in Europe.
TALENT AND KNOWLEDGE
In the vicinity (50 km) of five world class universities and two renowned research institutes.
6. Ample amounts of highly educated employees and the perfect conditions to house them.
7. Abundance of celebrated chemical and tech companies, such as Philips, Shell, Nouryon, Linde, DSM, Huntsman, ExxonMobil, Avantium.
8. Well-developed entrepreneurial ecosystem with multiple award winning incubators, support programs and abundance of investors.
9. Local, regional and national governments with large ambitions on CCUS, circular economy and clear programs to support these.
10. A CCU specific business community that can link you with all required partners and answer your specific questions.
GET IN TOUCH
Petrus can tell you all about the CCU network and would love to help you connect with other parties in the CCU industry!